Understanding car tax laws


The main component of the UK’s car tax laws is that any vehicle that is kept on a public road must have valid road tax. You should note that car tax laws do allow you to keep a car off the public road, but it must be either fully taxed, or have a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) in force and logged with the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency). If your vehicle does not have road tax or a SORN it could be wheel clamped for removed.

To enforce the laws in the UK, the DVLA makes monthly checks on all the vehicles that do have road tax or a SORN. They also apply the car tax laws by making roadside checks of vehicles. If you do not fully comply with the current car tax laws you could face an immediate fine of £80, with a maximum fine of £1,000. Your car could also be impounded, clamped or even crushed.

Following car tax laws to the letter is vitally important to avoid any fines or further legal action being taken against you. Your tax disc must be clearly visible in your car window. Note your tax disc must be placed on the passenger side of your car. You should also be aware that car tax laws in the UK do not allow a tax disc to be transferred between vehicles.

The law also makes it mandatory for all vehicle owners to update their name and address when they move home. This is so the DVLA can send you your V11 form to remind you about your road tax renewal. Car tax laws also state that you must only drive your vehicle on a public road if it has a valid MOT and is fully insured.

If you are accused of breaking any of the laws that are in force, the assistance of a solicitor can be invaluable. They can represent you if the police are involved in your case. And if your case goes to court, your solicitor can speak for you and interpret any points of law that apply to your case. Never try to represent yourself, as the courts will want to see qualified legal representation.

If you would like to obtain legal advice about motoring law, Caven can put you in touch with a local specialist tax law solicitor free of charge. So, if you have any questions or would like our help in finding local motoring / tax law solicitors please call us on 08001 221 2299 or complete the web-form above.

08001 221 2299
or fill in the form
Our trained advisor contacts you
Your chosen specialist solicitor calls you
Quick enquiry form
Brands we work with
Guardian Unlimited logoTelegraph.co.uk logo
Guardian Unlimited logoThis is money.co.uk logo