Types of legal fees
When should you use a solicitor?
Sometimes, using a solicitor for your legal matters is the best option. The money you spend on legal fees may end up being well worth it when you win your case.
What are common fee arrangements?
There are several common types of fee arrangements used by solicitors:
- Initial first meeting: The solicitor may charge a fixed rate or an hourly rate for your first meeting. Sometimes they may offer the first half hour for free
- Fixed Fees: Solicitors will sometimes offer to charge a fixed fee
- Hourly Rate: The solicitor will charge you for each hour (or portion of an hour) that the solicitor works on your case. This is the most typical fee arrangement
- Conditional Fee Agreements ('CFA' or 'no win no fee'): Solicitors will sometimes agree to work on your case on a 'no win no fee' basis. If this is the case you will need to enter what is called a Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA) with the solicitor. Provided the case is won, the solicitor will have his costs reimbursed by the losing side. If, on the other hand, you do not win your case, you do not have to pay your solicitor's fees. To avoid having to pay the other side's costs if you do lose the case, you will usually have been advised to take out ('after the event') insurance which will cover the other side's legal costs
- Payment on Account of Costs (sometimes called a 'retainer fee'): Here the solicitor is paid a set fee upfront, usually based on the solicitor's estimate of how much initial work will cost (based on the hourly rate and work to be carried out) . The retainer is placed in your client account and the cost of your solicitor's legal advice is then deducted from that account as and when they accrue
How can you find the right solicitor for the right cost?
Caven can choose cost-effective solicitors with legal fees in your price bracket. And, if you want a no-win, no-fee solicitor, or a solicitor who will accept deferred payment of their legal fees, we can find one local to you.
So, if you would like to get legal advice from a specialist solicitor, Caven can put you in touch with a local specialist solicitor free of charge. Please call us on 08001 221 2299 or complete the web-form above and we’ll call you back.