0800 433 4846

The immigration and naturalisation service


Anyone that is not a British national can use the immigration and naturalisation service to obtain British Citizenship. There are certain rules that you must fulfill in order to obtain naturalization, including being a full-time resident in the UK and obtaining full UK citizenship.

The immigration and naturalisation services from the UK Border Agency are detailed and will give you all the information you need to begin the naturalisation process. If you are in any doubt about your current status, or your ability to become a UK citizen, you should always take qualified legal advice. When approaching a solicitor to provide an immigration and naturalisation service, ensure they are registered by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC).

Hand-in-hand with the UK Border Agency is the Identity and Passport Service. Immigration and naturalisation services include obtaining a full UK passport or a naturalisation certificate. These documents provide general support to your claim for naturalisation in the UK. Generally, you must be over 18 years old and have been living in the UK for the last five years - or three years if you are married to a British citizen.

The services you use will process your application. If your application is refused, the immigration and naturalisation service will write to you stating you why your application was turned down. In these circumstances you have the right to appeal the decision. As you will need to show that the decision that was made was not in accordance with current UK immigration policy, or nationality law, the services of a qualified solicitor is essential.

You should give your solicitor all the information you can about why you think you can appeal the decision about your immigration and naturalisation. It is vital that you are honest and give your solicitor as much help as you can. They will draft a letter to the UK Border Agency outlining your appeal. Remember, any solicitor you do use must be registered with the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC).

If you would like to obtain legal advice about the naturalisation process, Caven can put you in touch with a local specialist citizenship solicitor free of charge. So, if you have any questions or would like our help in finding local citizenship solicitors please call us on 0800 433 4846 or complete the web-form above.

0800 433 4846
or fill in the form
Our trained advisor contacts you
Your chosen specialist solicitor calls you
Quick enquiry form
Brands we work with
Guardian Unlimited logoTelegraph.co.uk logo
Guardian Unlimited logoThis is money.co.uk logo

We use cookies on the Caven site to help us improve it.

If you would like to allow our cookies, please click 'Continue' or carry on browsing. For more information on cookies and how to change your settings, click 'More info'.