Supporting your medical case for compensation


If you have suffered an injury - physical or psychological - as the direct result of the actions of a healthcare professional, you have the right to at least an explanation of what happened, and with more serious incidents a potential claim for compensation.

It is important to get qualified advice about clinical negligence claims before you proceed as these medical cases can be very expensive and take a considerable amount of time to complete. It is vital for your claim to have accurate details of your medical case.

You can obtain details of your medical case from the healthcare professional that treated you. They are bound by a code of conduct that states that they have to give you all the information you ask for.

If your healthcare professional does not help with your medical-case information, the NHS Trust where they work may have a customer service manager or a Patient Advice and Liaison Officer that you can contact for your information.

You also have the right to ask for copies of your medical records that relate to the medical case that your injury is connected with. If the NHS Trust doesn’t give you the information you asked for, they are in breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 and possibly the Access to Health Records Act 1990. You can make your application for medical case records directly to the organisation that holds your records such as a GPs (General Practitioners) surgery, or NHS Trust.

If you would like to obtain legal advice about your medical case, Caven can put you in touch with a local specialist medical solicitor free of charge. So, if you have any questions or would like our help in finding local clinical compensation solicitors please call us on 08001 221 2299 or complete the web-form above.


0808 1593 553
or fill in the form below
Our trained advisor contacts you
Your chosen specialist solicitor calls you
Quick enquiry form