0808 129 5758

Small claims (less than £10,000)

Small claims can be a frustrating affair. Often it can seem like the effort isn't worth the reward, but if you are owed money then you have a right to try to get it back.

If your claim is for less than £10,000 in England & Wales (£5,000 in Scotland and £3,000 in Northern Ireland) then it will be heard in the 'small claims track' of the county court. You can represent yourself or use a solicitor, but in either case you will have needed to fill in specific documents regarding the case, how much is owed etc.

How to prepare

You will need to calculate exactly what is owed (including all interest). There are several documents you will need to prepare for the court. You can then represent yourself in court, and this can be a really good way of saving money on the claim.

Representing yourself

Anyone can do this, but it is a good idea to get some advice on how to do this. We would suggest seeking help from Citizens Advice Bureau or a local law centre. However, if you wish to engage a solicitor, please be aware solicitors will charge a minimum of £500 + VAT for help and advice. If you fill in the form on this page we will pass your details to our advisors who will be in touch to discuss further.

Important information

For [selected AoL] law, solicitors will charge a minimum fee of £250 to provide an initial consultation and written opinion on your case. We have a number of recommended law firms in our network who could provide this service to you at the most competitive price. If you would like to proceed, click ‘Paid advice’ below and one of our advisors will call you on a free-of-charge basis to discuss this further with you.