Understanding residence and contact orders


When couples or spouses separate or divorce, one of the most difficult things is often agreeing on what will happen to the children. Ideally, couples will come to an agreement about where the child will live and when they will have contact with other people in their lives. Sometimes, however, agreement is not possible and the matter may end up in court.
In this section we have set out some useful information about the different issues that the court may decide, including:

  • Residence (who the child will live with)
  • Contact (who the child will have contact with, and when)
  • Specific issues

If you need help reaching an agreement, or if you want to be represented at court, Caven can put you in touch with specialist family solicitors to help you. We also have family mediators and collaborative law solicitors who can help you to try to resolve the issue amicably. If you would like to get legal advice please call us on 08001 221 2299.

Related information: