Getting free or low-cost legal advice

There are several situations in which you may be able to get a solicitor to represent and give you legal advice for free.

No-win, no-fee representation can offer low-cost help

There are several areas of law in which a solicitor may agree to represent you on a "no-win, no-fee" basis. These include PI, employment and most litigation cases. In this instance call us and we will be able to find you a lawyer. However, even in this case you may not receive free legal advice as you could remain responsible for some costs.

The solicitor may charge you for an initial consultation and for the time spent looking into the merits of your case, and even if they do agree to take the case on no-win, no-fee you may need to pay for 'after the event insurance' to protect you in case your claim fails. Call us for more information.

What if you face criminal charges?

If you've been arrested or charged, the police station will help you contact a solicitor, and they will determine if you qualify for legal aid.

Might you qualify for legal aid?

If you can't afford a solicitor, you may qualify for legal aid. Legal aid solicitors are government-funded solicitors who represent people with low incomes in a variety of legal situations, including eviction cases, immigration issues, denial of unemployment compensation or other benefits, and consumer credit problems.

You can find out if you qualify for legal aid and a free legal opinion by visiting the government service website:

Pro Bono work

If your claim involves an issue of social justice or if your dispute has wide implications beyond your individual situation, a solicitor or law firm with an interest in that issue might agree to represent you on a "pro bono" (no fee or reduced fee) basis.

For example, if your claim involves sexual harassment by an employer, abuse by a spouse or partner, discrimination in housing or employment, freedom of speech or religion, environmental pollution, or access to medical treatment, you may find a barrister or solicitor willing to represent you pro bono and give you free legal advice.

You might have legal expenses insurance

You should inspect your existing home insurance policies. Legal expenses insurance is included as standard in many policies, or you may have taken out insurance against specific risks which would cover the proposed litigation. If you have any doubt about this, you should review your insurance cover and/or contact your insurance broker.

Whatever your situation, have a look at the information available here and there could well be an answer for you. If that involves hiring a solicitor, give us a call and we will be able to help.

Important information

For [selected AoL] law, solicitors will charge a minimum fee of £250 to provide an initial consultation and written opinion on your case. We have a number of recommended law firms in our network who could provide this service to you at the most competitive price. If you would like to proceed, click ‘Paid advice’ below and one of our advisors will call you on a free-of-charge basis to discuss this further with you.