0800 433 4846

Immigration lawyers


Anyone that is not a British national must comply with all of the current immigration laws.

How does UK immigration work?

The legislation you must be aware of when entering the UK to work, study, or live includes:

  • UK Borders Act 2007
  • The Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009
  • The Immigration (Form and Manner of Passenger Information) Directive 2008

You must have the right to enter the UK and be able to produce the correct documentation on requesBest immigration lawyers | Find a solicitor | Cavent. If you find that you are accused of entering the UK illegally, hiring the best immigration lawyers you can afford is essential as they can represent you at your court hearing.

What do immigration lawyers do?

Immigration lawyers specialising in private immigration will handle all immigration issues that arise in relation to individuals. For example, an individual may need help with the following matters:

  • Applying for a tourist visa or any other type of visa
  • Applying for leave to enter the UK to look for work
  • Asylum appeals
  • Bringing family members who live outside the UK into the UK
  • Applications for naturalisation and indefinite leave to remain

Employing migrant workers

The UK now has a Border and Immigration Agency (BIA) that handles all immigration documentation for employers that use migrant workers on a regular basis.

If you do employ overseas workers it is vitally important that you do so in accordance with the current regulations. Any failure to do so could mean a fine of up to £10,000 for each illegal worker you employ. If you are found to be employing foreign workers you know are not in the UK legally, you could face an unlimited fine and a prison sentence.

Whether you employ overseas workers, or are entering the UK to study, the best immigration lawyers you can use are those that have a detailed understanding of the new agencies and laws. Always use the best immigration lawyers you can afford, as their skills will ensure your case is given a fair hearing.

Studying abroad

The rules about studying in the UK have also been recently tightened to combat the rise of false applications to UK colleges and universities. All international students must be sponsored, but the university that sponsors them must register with the UK Border Agency.

If you have been refused entry into the UK to study, immigration lawyers will be able to advise you about your particular case, and represent you at any hearing that takes place to decide whether you can stay in the UK.

Want to know more about moving to the UK for employment? See our FAQs on immigration and employment law.

Do you need an immigration lawyer to help you enter into the UK legally? Caven can put you in touch with a specialist solicitor to give your application the best chance of success. Please call us on 0800 433 4846 or complete the web-form above.

0800 433 4846
or fill in the form
Our trained advisor contacts you
Your chosen specialist solicitor calls you
Quick enquiry form
What our clients say about us
"The firm you recommended was extremely helpful. Your service has been very useful indeed and I won't hesitate to contact you again or recommend your service to friends and family." Liz, Family law, South Wales, Aug 13
"Thank you so much for your recommendation. The solicitor suggested really interesting alternatives, and gave me moral support. I'm so glad I came across your website."
LR, Kingston, Nov 10
"We engaged the solicitor's services and everything has been fantastic. It was such a relief...I wish I had called you earlier and saved myself hours of calls!"
Jaye, Civil litigation, N. Yorks, Feb 13
"Having accepted referrals for several years through Caven, I have been most impressed by the quality of their leads and their professional approach."
AE, Manchester Solicitors, July 09
"I was offered unbiased and honest opinions from the firm you put me in touch with. I felt unpressured and this took a weight off my mind." KS, Employment law, Oxford, July 12
"Caven's solicitors were fantastic and won me the compensation I was hoping for following my accident."

Tom F, PI, Edinburgh, March 09
"Sincere thanks for making things a lot easier for me and my family. When I contacted you initially I really didn't know where to start and was terrified by what costs might be involved."TC, London, March 11
"Your service was very quick, easy to use and I got legal advice in a language I could understand. Superb service!"

RC, Bristol, July 11
"Initially I was sceptical about asking a question online (never having done that before) but would do it again and would recommend others do the same." Pete Chambers, Feb 12
"Thanks for following up. We are going with and I'm very please with the way you have helped us. I will certainly recommend you to our clients." John, Commercial property law, The City, May 13