0800 433 4846

Immigration forms


You might want to migrate to the UK for a number of reasons, including because you want to become a UK citizen. To become a UK citizen immigration forms must be completed in full.

Which forms do I need?

There are a number of immigration forms to choose from, and it is important to understand which immigration forms apply to which type of citizenship. The main immigration forms include:

  • Form AN for any application for British citizenship or naturalisation
  • Form B(OTA) to register as a British citizen if you are currently a British national
  • Form UKM to register as a British citizen if you were born before 1983 to a British mother
  • Form T to register as a British citizen if you were born after 1 January 1983 and lived in the UK up to the age of 10
  • Form RS2 to register as a British overseas territory citizen if you have already given up your citizenship
  • Form B(OS) to register as a British citizen if you currently have no nationality
  • Form EM to register as a British citizen under the British Nationality Hong Kong Act 1997
  • Form G to register as a British citizen if you are a British overseas territories citizen with a connection to Gibraltar
  • Form RS1 to register as a British citizen if you have previously given up your citizenship

There are many other immigration forms that deal with other particular circumstances, and if you are currently under the age of 18. The UK Border Agency can give you detailed advice about the immigration forms you will need to use in order to make your application for citizenship.

Completing the forms

When completing any type of immigration form you should ensure that:

  • You read each question carefully and thoroughly
  • Answer each question in an honest, measured manner
  • Seek assistance from an expert if you are unsure of the meaning of a question(s)

If you make a mistake on an immigration form the consequences can be very serious. If you lie, you could be prosecuted by the State.

Even if you make an innocent mistake, you may incur financial or other penalties. A mistake on an immigration form could lead to your application being rejected. This emphasises the need to consult a legal specialist when completing a complex immigration form.

Rejected applications

If after applying for citizenship your application is turned down, you usually have the right to appeal the decision. In these cases it is important to have qualified legal support.

Immigration law is complex, especially with countries outside of the EU. Your immigration solicitor can help you respond to any requests for further information, and represent you at any meetings. Note that any solicitor you do use must be registered with the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC).

For more information on becoming a British citizen, see our information page on immigration and naturalisation.

Do you need help with immigration forms? Have your immigration forms been refused due to a mistake? Caven can put you in touch with immigration lawyers specialised for your case. Please call us on 0800 433 4846 or complete the web-form above.

0800 433 4846
or fill in the form
Our trained advisor contacts you
Your chosen specialist solicitor calls you
Quick enquiry form
What our clients say about us
"The firm you recommended was extremely helpful. Your service has been very useful indeed and I won't hesitate to contact you again or recommend your service to friends and family." Liz, Family law, South Wales, Aug 13
"Thank you so much for your recommendation. The solicitor suggested really interesting alternatives, and gave me moral support. I'm so glad I came across your website."
LR, Kingston, Nov 10
"We engaged the solicitor's services and everything has been fantastic. It was such a relief...I wish I had called you earlier and saved myself hours of calls!"
Jaye, Civil litigation, N. Yorks, Feb 13
"Having accepted referrals for several years through Caven, I have been most impressed by the quality of their leads and their professional approach."
AE, Manchester Solicitors, July 09
"I was offered unbiased and honest opinions from the firm you put me in touch with. I felt unpressured and this took a weight off my mind." KS, Employment law, Oxford, July 12
"Caven's solicitors were fantastic and won me the compensation I was hoping for following my accident."

Tom F, PI, Edinburgh, March 09
"Sincere thanks for making things a lot easier for me and my family. When I contacted you initially I really didn't know where to start and was terrified by what costs might be involved."TC, London, March 11
"Your service was very quick, easy to use and I got legal advice in a language I could understand. Superb service!"

RC, Bristol, July 11
"Initially I was sceptical about asking a question online (never having done that before) but would do it again and would recommend others do the same." Pete Chambers, Feb 12
"Thanks for following up. We are going with and I'm very please with the way you have helped us. I will certainly recommend you to our clients." John, Commercial property law, The City, May 13