0800 433 4846

How to obtain immigration advice


Coming to the UK to work, live or study will mean you must comply with all the current immigration laws and regulations. Immigration advice is available from a wide range of sources. The organisation that can give you the best advice will depend on your particular circumstances.

One of the best sources of advice is on the UK Border Agency website. This is a new agency that is part of the Home Office. It now has responsibility for all immigration into the UK. If you are intending to work in the UK, it is vitally important that you do so legally. The penalties for illegally working in the UK can be high, and if you are in any doubt about your status, always take immigration advice as early as you can.

If you intend to come to the UK to study at school or university, you must have the correct visa before you start your course. If you do not know what type of visa you need, contact the university’s student service for advice. It is important to get immigration advice about your course as children and adults need different visas.

Anyone that intends to come to the UK to live either temporarily or permanently must ensure they have the correct immigration status. The UK Border Agency can give you advice about who does, and doesn’t, have the right to visit or settle in the UK.

It is important to get immigration advice if you currently have ‘limited leave to remain’ status. If you want to stay longer you must make a formal application to do so. You can also apply for ‘indefinite leave to remain’, which will normally mean obtaining UK citizenship.

Any application you make to indefinitely remain, or to extend your existing limited leave to remain could be turned down. If your application is refused you have the right to appeal. You can do this yourself, but your case will have a much better chance of success if you have legal representation. The services of an immigration solicitor can be very helpful if your case has any special circumstances you want the appeal to consider. Note that any solicitor you do use should be approved by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC).

If you would like to obtain legal advice about immigration to the UK, Caven can put you in touch with a local specialist immigration solicitor free of charge. So, if you have any questions or would like our help in finding local immigration solicitors please call us on 0800 433 4846 or complete the web-form above.

0800 433 4846
or fill in the form
Our trained advisor contacts you
Your chosen specialist solicitor calls you
Quick enquiry form
Brands we work with
Guardian Unlimited logoTelegraph.co.uk logo
Guardian Unlimited logoThis is money.co.uk logo