How to complain about your GP


GP complaints can be handled in a number of ways. You can make a formal complaint about your GP via the NHS Complaints Procedure. This is a formal system you can use to complain about all healthcare workers. GP complaints can also be taken to the General Medical Council, of which all GPs should be members. And if your complaint is serious, you can use the courts to bring a case of clinical negligence against your GP.

You must assess the complaint you want to make. Using the NHS Complaints Procedure won’t normally result in any disciplinary action being taken against the doctor concerned, or any form of financial compensation being paid. GP complaints where the desired outcome is either compensation or some form of change to a GPs practice are more likely to be successful with clinical negligence claims.

Usually a claim for clinical negligence will make the formal complaints procedure redundant. You can’t make GP complaints and take your GP to court with a clinical negligence case at the same time. If you just want to make a complaint, the Healthcare Commission in association with the Heath Service Ombudsman will handle your case.

In England and Wales the General Medical Council (GMC) is responsible for regulating GPs. The GMC is in effect your GPs trade association. Qualified medical solicitors must handle GP complaints that are more serious and are being bought as clinical negligence cases. Your case will have a much better chance of success if you approach the GMC via a solicitor with qualified medical training. The possible outcomes of your case could include compensation, and your GP being barred from practicing. This is called being ‘struck off’.

If you would like to obtain legal advice about GP complaints, Caven can put you in touch with a local specialist medical / negligence solicitor free of charge. So, if you have any questions or would like our help in finding local medical / negligence solicitors please call us on 08001 221 2299 or complete the web-form above.

0808 1593 553
or fill in the form below
Our trained advisor contacts you
Your chosen specialist solicitor calls you
Quick enquiry form