How to avoid speeding fines

It can be difficult to avoid speed cameras when you drive a lot around the UK. To avoid these cameras you need to be careful to notice the changing speed limits wherever you drive – ignorance is no excuse according to the law.

How can you avoid speeding fines?

The only way to guarantee you will avoid speeding fines is to not speed! But, if it’s too late for that and you’ve already been fined, there are some possible ways you could contest your speeding fine to avoid penalty.

You may wish to look into alternatives or preventative measures. For example:

  • Invest in a gadget to warn you when you are in an area with speed cameras; some satellite navigation devices, and built-in car systems already do this
  • Speed awareness courses

Speed awareness courses are now being promoted as an alternative to fines or points. If you agree to attend a speed awareness course you may be able to avoid any further points on your license.

The speed awareness course is usually around 4 hours and the price is dependent on which part of the country you live. However, if you already have a number of points on your license and it looks as though your license may about to be revoked, this may be a good option for you.

The AA claims the course helps drivers to gain a fuller understanding of why people drive above the speed limit and the true potential consequences of speeding.

What happens when you receive a speeding fine?

If you are caught speeding by fixed or mobile speed cameras you will receive a conditional offer fixed penalty notice. The penalty notice is titled a conditional offer because you can either choose to just pay it and take the penalty or, if not, to contest it.

If your speed is excessive you will receive a summons from the Magistrate's Court, or perhaps a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP).

Contesting a fine at court

The conditional offer expires within 28 days. If you have not accepted and paid it within this time, then you will then receive a summons.

You need to respond to the summons. You can give reasons for disputing the speeding fine on the summons. You can also provide any evidence you want the court to take into account. The matter will go to court before a magistrate. The magistrate will determine any fine and penalty points awarded.

Do you need a solicitor?

You should speak to a solicitor about contesting a speeding fine. They will be able to let you know quickly whether you have a strong case.

A solicitor might also be aware of technical ways out of a speeding fine, such as that there were inadequate or inaccurate road signs that you may be able to challenge at court.

Do you have a dispute involving an expensive speeding ticket? Caven works with motoring lawyers around the country who can help you contest the fine if you believe it was not issued on valid grounds. Please call us on 0800 046 1464 or complete the web-form above.