If would like to get a divorce, but do not know where to start, then you may want to consider obtaining the services of a divorce solicitor. Under UK family law there are certain criteria you will need to fulfil in order to get a divorce. You must show that your marriage has irretrievably broken down. This can be shown by providing evidence of one of the five following fact
- Your spouse has committed adultery
- Your spouse has behaved unreasonably
- Your spouse has deserted you for a period of two years
- You and your spouse have lived apart for a continuous period of two years, and you spouse consents to divorce
- You and your spouse have lived apart for a continuous period of five years, in which case spousal consent is not required
Providing you can prove one of the above you can proceed and file a petition for divorce at court. If you are thinking you would like to get a divorce there are some things you should bear in mind. Divorce is never an easy process: deciding how to divide assets and whom your children should live with can often cause bitterness and grief between spouses. Having a solicitor on your side to help when issues such as these arise can be a real benefit. Our divorce solicitors have experience in dealing with a range of complex issues arising from divorce and can act swiftly to solve problems as they develop during the course of the process.
If you would like to obtain advice on family law issues and how to get a divorce, then Caven can put you in touch with a local family law/ divorce firm free of charge. So, if you have any questions or would like our help in finding local family law specialists please call us on 08001 221 2299 or complete the web-form above.