Five FAQs on employment tribunals


What is an employment tribunal?

If you have a dispute with your employer that can’t be resolved through your company’s grievance procedure, you can take your claim to an employment tribunal. It is important that you fully understand your rights when using an employment tribunal. An employment law solicitor can be invaluable in supporting and advising you throughout your hearing.

How does the employment tribunal operate?

The tribunal itself is a panel of usually three people. One of these people will be a judge who is legally qualified in employment law. Tribunals operate in much the same way as a court of law. All parties present their evidence, which the tribunal panel consider before making their judgement, which is legally binding. It is advisable to have representation by an employment law solicitor when using a tribunal to settle your dispute.

What kinds of cases will an employment tribunal hear?

You can only bring a case to a tribunal if you are alleging your employment rights have been breached. Examples include discrimination, unfair dismissal and breach of contract. An employment law solicitor can assess your case and advise whether an employment tribunal is appropriate.

Can the employment tribunal award compensation?

Yes. An employment tribunal does have the power to award compensation up to a maximum of £50,000 for claims of unfair dismissal that can be proven. However, claims for discrimination have no upper limit. And your employment law solicitor could claim additional money for you if your employer can be shown to have not followed employment law.

How can a solicitor help with an employment tribunal?

The tribunal will want to see that you have full legal support when your case is heard. In addition, your employment law solicitors can support you throughout your case from evidence gathering to the actual hearing. Your solicitor can represent you, but can’t speak for you during the hearing.

If you would like to obtain legal advice on employment tribunals, Caven can put you in touch with a local employment solicitor free of charge. So, if you have any questions or would like our help in finding local employment solicitors please call us on 08001 221 2299 or complete the web-form above.

08001 221 2299
or fill in the form
Our trained advisor contacts you
Your chosen specialist solicitor calls you
Quick enquiry form
Brands we work with
Guardian Unlimited logo
Guardian Unlimited logoThis is logo

We use cookies on the Caven site to help us improve it.

If you would like to allow our cookies, please click 'Continue' or carry on browsing. For more information on cookies and how to change your settings, click 'More info'.