0800 433 4846

Five FAQs about immigration


What are the main areas of the law I should be aware of if I come to the UK to work?

The Border and Immigration Agency (BIA) that patrols all entrances into the country now also handles all movements of workers into the UK. If you travel to the UK to work, you must ensure you have all the appropriate documentation and the correct visa, if you require one in order to work.

Once you are working in the UK, employment law will become relevant to you. It is a good idea to learn about your employment rights.

As an employer is it my responsibility to check on the immigration status of anyone I employ?

Yes, as it’s the employer’s legal responsibility to ensure that everyone who works for them can do so legally. If your business employs migrant workers, you must check that each worker can legally work in the UK. If you do not, you could face a fine of up to £10,000 for each illegal immigrant you have on your staff. Always consult with an employment law solicitor if you are unsure of this area of employment law.

What is my immigration status if I come to the UK to study?

The Government has recently overhauled the entire visa system. You must still have a sponsor before you enter the UK, and the college or university you are study at must also register with the UK Boarder Agency. If you are refused entry into the UK to study, consult with an immigration solicitor.

Does my EU status affect my immigration to the UK?

Yes, as anyone that is already a national of a EU Member State can legally enter the UK. You must still fulfill all the requirements of the Border and Immigration Agency, but EU citizens can move freely from country-to-country. If you are refused entry for some reason, a specialist immigration solicitor can advise you.

How can a solicitor help with my immigration?

Whether you are living in or outside of the EU, you must ensure you fully comply with immigration rules when you come to the UK. If you are refused entry, or are going to be deported, a specialist immigration solicitor can help you.

If you would like to obtain legal advice on immigration, Caven can put you in touch with a local immigration solicitor free of charge. So, if you have any questions or would like our help in finding local immigration solicitors please call us at 0800 433 4846 or complete the web-form above.

0800 433 4846
or fill in the form
Our trained advisor contacts you
Your chosen specialist solicitor calls you
Quick enquiry form
Brands we work with
Guardian Unlimited logoTelegraph.co.uk logo
Guardian Unlimited logoThis is money.co.uk logo