Five FAQs about child protection


What can I do if I suspect a child is being abused?

The first thing you should do is report your suspicions to your local authority. They will have a social services department that handles this type of information.
If a local authority expresses their concern over your behaviour towards a child, you may need legal advice from a family law solicitor.

How important is child welfare in divorce cases?

The court that is hearing your divorce petition will place the welfare of your children at the centre of your case. You and your family solicitor must show that your children will be in a safe and secure environment and protected from harm. Your solicitor can advise on what evidence you may need to show the court.

Can I protect my child from being taken out of the country by my ex-partner?

The courts and the police take child protection very seriously. Your family lawyer will outline the action you should take, which could include obtaining an injunction from the court. This would prevent your ex-partner from leaving the country with your child. Your solicitor can explain in detail how this type of injunction would operate in practice.

Under what circumstances could my child be taken into care?

Child protection can sometimes mean a child must be taken into care to protect them from harm. The Children Act 1989 protects children’s welfare and allows your local authority – as long as they have good reason – to take your children into care if they believe they could come to harm under your supervision. Your solicitor can explain the terms of the Act and what circumstances could lead to social services taking your children into their care.

How can a solicitor help with child protection?

You and your children have rights under the law to live safely and free from harm. Your family solicitor can help in a number of ways, such as handing any court action against your ex-partner and supporting you through any alleged abuse case. Your solicitor can also help with any other family law matters that could impact on your child’s welfare, such as divorce.

If you would like to obtain legal advice on child protection, Caven can put you in touch with a local family solicitor free of charge. So, if you have any questions or would like our help in finding local family solicitors please call us on 08001 221 2299 or complete the web-form above.

08001 221 2299
or fill in the form
Our trained advisor contacts you
Your chosen specialist solicitor calls you
Quick enquiry form
What our clients say about us
"I'm very happy with the service you have provided and with Caven. I have already recommended your website to my friends."

Carolina, Employment law, London, Aug 12
"Thank you so much for your recommendation. The solicitor suggested really interesting alternatives, and gave me moral support. I'm so glad I came across your website."

LR, Kingston, Nov 10
"We engaged the solicitor's services and everything has been fantastic. It was such a relief...I wish I had called you earlier and saved myself hours of calls!"

Jaye, Civil litigation, N. Yorks, Feb 13
"Having accepted referrals for several years through Caven, I have been most impressed by the quality of their leads and their professional approach."

AE, Manchester Solicitors, July 09
"I was offered unbiased and honest opinions from the firm you put me in touch with. I felt unpressured and this took a weight off my mind."

KS, Employment law, Oxford, July 12
"Caven's solicitors were fantastic and won me the compensation I was hoping for following my accident."

Tom F, PI, Edinburgh, March 09
"Sincere thanks for making things a lot easier for me and my family. When I contacted you initially I really didn't know where to start and was terrified by what costs might be involved."

TC, London, March 11
"Your service was very quick, easy to use and I got legal advice in a language I could understand. Superb service!"

RC, Bristol, July 11
"Initially I was sceptical about asking a question online (never having done that before) but would do it again and would recommend others do the same."

Pete Chambers, Feb 12
"Thanks for following up. We are going with and I'm very please with the way you have helped us. I will certainly recommend you to our clients."

John, Commercial property law, The City, May 13