FAQs on injuries sustained whilst abroad


What should you do if you are injured abroad?

If you are injured abroad you should seek immediate medical attention. If possible, take down all of the details of the incident, such as:

  • Witnesses, including their contact details
  • Date, time, and the location
  • How the injury occurred
  • The weather conditions (if relevant)

You should also inform your travel insurance company of the incident and any medical treatment you receive as soon as possible.

Does travel insurance cover injuries abroad?

Your travel insurance may cover injuries you sustain abroad. You will need to check the terms and conditions of your travel insurance policy carefully. Many items are commonly excluded from travel insurance policies, such as incidents involving alcohol and certain sports and activities.

Can travel agents or tour operators be liable for injuries abroad?

Travel agents and tour operators may be liable for injuries sustained abroad. However, normally there is another party who is more directly responsible for the injuries. For someone to be liable to compensate you for your injuries they need to have had a duty of care to ensure your safety, and they must have failed in that duty of care, resulting in your injuries.

Who may be liable for injuries abroad?

Parties who may be liable for injuries obtained abroad include:

  • Hotel and accommodation operators
  • Operators of licensed properties
  • Public authorities
  • Transport companies
  • Road users
  • Event organisers
  • Airlines
  • Tour operators

It can be difficult to work out who is liable for an incident. A personal injury lawyer can discuss your situation and advise who may be liable to pay you compensation.

Can you sue for injuries abroad?

If someone was at fault in causing your injury, you may be able to sue them for compensation. You will usually have to sue them in the local courts of the country in which the incident occurred. This process can be difficult, particularly as you will no doubt be returning to the UK before the incident is resolved. A personal injury solicitor can take over the process to help you obtain the compensation to which you are entitled.

If you would like to obtain expert legal advice, we can help to put you in touch with a local specialist solicitor free of charge. Call our experienced case handlers on 08001 221 2299.

08001 221 2299
or fill in the form
Our trained advisor contacts you
Your chosen specialist solicitor calls you
Quick enquiry form
Brands we work with
Guardian Unlimited logoTelegraph.co.uk logo
Guardian Unlimited logoThis is money.co.uk logo

We use cookies on the Caven site to help us improve it.

If you would like to allow our cookies, please click 'Continue' or carry on browsing. For more information on cookies and how to change your settings, click 'More info'.