0800 177 7162

FAQs: Emigration to Canada


Do I need a visa if I am thinking of emigrating to Canada?

Yes, if you are looking to move to Canada for any reasonable length of time you will need to obtain a visa prior to departing. There are two primary types of visa; a Canadian permanent residence visa or a temporary residence visa.

How can I qualify for a Canadian permanent residence visa?

There are a number of methods that can allow you to qualify for a permanent residence visa:
  • Through sponsorship from close relatives who are already either Canadian citizens or have permanent residence in Canada
  • If you are self-employed as a farmer or could be of cultural, artistic or sporting value to Canada
  • If you are a skilled worker

Do I qualify as a skilled worker?

In order to qualify as a skilled worker you must have a valid offer of employment in an occupation that is included in the Canadian National Occupations Classifications list at level A, B or 0. Alternatively you can qualify if you are an international student enrolled in a PhD programme in Canada.

How does the point-based system work?

The points system applies to both the self-employed and skilled worker visas. Points are allocated to applicants based on 6 selection factors; your education, your abilities in English and/or French (the two official languages), your work experience, your age, whether you have arranged employment in Canada, and your adaptability. In order to qualify for the respective visa you must accrue enough points to meet the pass mark; the current pass marks are 67 for skilled workers applications and 35 points for a business migrant application. 

How could a solicitor help me?

A solicitor will be able to advise you which of the available methods are best for you taking into account how long you want to stay in Canada. They will also be able to advise you as to the cost of each of the respective application and help you with completing the relevant forms.
If you would like to obtain legal advice on emigrating to Canada, Caven can put you in touch with a local solicitor free of charge. So, if you have any questions or would like our help in finding local solicitors please call us on 0800 177 7162 or complete the web-form above.


0800 177 7162
or fill in the form
Our trained advisor contacts you
Your chosen specialist solicitor calls you
Quick enquiry form
Brands we work with
Guardian Unlimited logoTelegraph.co.uk logo
Guardian Unlimited logoThis is money.co.uk logo