FAQs: Division of financial assets in divorce


Do we need to go to court?

If a divorcing couple agrees on the separation of their finances, their family solicitors can draw up a Consent Order. A Consent Order can include all shared items since the marriage, such as money, property, life insurance, child maintenance, pensions and savings. The signed document is sent, along with details of each partner’s financial situation, to the court. If the court approves, the Order will form a legal contract.

What is the court process?

If a divorcing couple cannot agree, they can apply to the court to decide the division of marital assets. Both parties should seek the advice of their family solicitors in order to guide them through this process and to represent them if they are required to attend a hearing. Initially, each party files a full financial statement and the court determines whether negotiation would be useful. If agreement is still not forthcoming, there will be a full hearing in court.

Will everything be divided 50/50?

An equal division of a couple’s finances would be ideal. However, individual circumstances and children’s needs must be taken into account. For example, the court will consider:

  • The earning capacity of the parties
  • The parties’ financial obligations
  • Any child’s accustomed standard of living
  • Any child’s age, and any illnesses or disabilities

The court will seek to make a clean break regarding shared financial commitments, wherever possible.

What happens to the family home?

The court can make various orders regarding the former matrimonial home. For example, the house could be transferred from joint names to one name only, in return for a lump sum paid to the party whose name is removed from the deed. Alternatively, the house could be sold and the proceeds divided according to the needs of the parties regarding re-homing. Or the house sale could be deferred until the parties’ children have left home.

Will my pension be included?

Pensions are part of the financial ‘pot’ that has to be shared equitably upon divorce. One partner often has a more substantial pension than the other, and the court may redress the balance. For example, the judge could order that a difference is ‘offset’ by awarding the other party a greater share of the family home. A family solicitor is the best person to advise you regarding the different ways in which pensions can be considered by the court.

If you would like to obtain legal advice on the division of financial assets in divorce, we can help to put you in touch with a local specialist solicitor for free. Call our experienced case handlers on 08001 221 2299 and let our dedicated case handlers match you with appropriate expert solicitors.

08001 221 2299
or fill in the form
Our trained advisor contacts you
Your chosen specialist solicitor calls you
Quick enquiry form
What our clients say about us
"I'm very happy with the service you have provided and with Caven. I have already recommended your website to my friends."

Carolina, Employment law, London, Aug 12
"Thank you so much for your recommendation. The solicitor suggested really interesting alternatives, and gave me moral support. I'm so glad I came across your website."

LR, Kingston, Nov 10
"We engaged the solicitor's services and everything has been fantastic. It was such a relief...I wish I had called you earlier and saved myself hours of calls!"

Jaye, Civil litigation, N. Yorks, Feb 13
"Having accepted referrals for several years through Caven, I have been most impressed by the quality of their leads and their professional approach."

AE, Manchester Solicitors, July 09
"I was offered unbiased and honest opinions from the firm you put me in touch with. I felt unpressured and this took a weight off my mind."

KS, Employment law, Oxford, July 12
"Caven's solicitors were fantastic and won me the compensation I was hoping for following my accident."

Tom F, PI, Edinburgh, March 09
"Sincere thanks for making things a lot easier for me and my family. When I contacted you initially I really didn't know where to start and was terrified by what costs might be involved."

TC, London, March 11
"Your service was very quick, easy to use and I got legal advice in a language I could understand. Superb service!"

RC, Bristol, July 11
"Initially I was sceptical about asking a question online (never having done that before) but would do it again and would recommend others do the same."

Pete Chambers, Feb 12
"Thanks for following up. We are going with and I'm very please with the way you have helped us. I will certainly recommend you to our clients."

John, Commercial property law, The City, May 13