FAQs: Civil partnership break ups and the division of assets


How are assets divided when a civil partnership ends?

Civil partners have much the same rights and responsibilities as married couples. When a civil partnership comes to an end, the assets of the couple will be divided in the same way. The court takes into account a range of factors, including the contributions made by each party and the future needs of each of the parties, taking into account any children of the relationship.

What happens to the couple’s home?

The couple can work out who will live in the home and who will move out. If they can’t come to an agreement, they can apply to the court for the court to decide. The court can make some short-term orders about the home, such as allowing one party to live in the home and/or prohibiting the other party from entering the home. If the party who remains in the home refuses to let the other party enter the home to collect their belongings, the court can make an order to this effect.

Does the couple have to financially support each other?

Civil partners have the same obligations to financially support each other as do married couples. When the civil partnership comes to an end the parties should agree on who will pay what bills, etc. This is particularly important if there are children of the relationship. If they cannot agree, the courts and the Child Support Agency can make orders.

Can a lump sum be paid to settle financial affairs?

The court may order either a lump-sum payment or ongoing payments in settlement of property. If there are children of the relationship, each party remains responsible for contributing to the child’s maintenance.

Can the couple make an informal agreement?

If civil partners are able to agree on matters to do with their finances, the home and the care of children, they can draw this up into a separation agreement. It is advisable to talk to a lawyer if you are unsure of your obligations. Mediation may also help to reach agreement on contentious issues with the help of an independent third party.

Do you want expert legal advice? Call us on 08001 221 2299 and let our dedicated case handlers match you to the best solicitor for your needs.

08001 221 2299
or fill in the form
Our trained advisor contacts you
Your chosen specialist solicitor calls you
Quick enquiry form
What our clients say about us
"I'm very happy with the service you have provided and with Caven. I have already recommended your website to my friends."

Carolina, Employment law, London, Aug 12
"Thank you so much for your recommendation. The solicitor suggested really interesting alternatives, and gave me moral support. I'm so glad I came across your website."

LR, Kingston, Nov 10
"We engaged the solicitor's services and everything has been fantastic. It was such a relief...I wish I had called you earlier and saved myself hours of calls!"

Jaye, Civil litigation, N. Yorks, Feb 13
"Having accepted referrals for several years through Caven, I have been most impressed by the quality of their leads and their professional approach."

AE, Manchester Solicitors, July 09
"I was offered unbiased and honest opinions from the firm you put me in touch with. I felt unpressured and this took a weight off my mind."

KS, Employment law, Oxford, July 12
"Caven's solicitors were fantastic and won me the compensation I was hoping for following my accident."

Tom F, PI, Edinburgh, March 09
"Sincere thanks for making things a lot easier for me and my family. When I contacted you initially I really didn't know where to start and was terrified by what costs might be involved."

TC, London, March 11
"Your service was very quick, easy to use and I got legal advice in a language I could understand. Superb service!"

RC, Bristol, July 11
"Initially I was sceptical about asking a question online (never having done that before) but would do it again and would recommend others do the same."

Pete Chambers, Feb 12
"Thanks for following up. We are going with and I'm very please with the way you have helped us. I will certainly recommend you to our clients."

John, Commercial property law, The City, May 13