FAQs: About personal injury


What kind of personal injury could I claim for?

If you are injured through no fault of your own, you may be able to make a claim for compensation. Your physical injury could be the result of a road accident, or a trip or fall. In addition, you can claim compensation for an industrial illness, such as industrial deafness or asbestos-related cancer, and for psychiatric illnesses.

You should contact a personal injury solicitor as soon as you can after your injury or diagnosis and outline what has happened to you. Your solicitor will assess your case and advise whether negligence has taken place, which would mean you could make a claim for compensation.

Can I claim for a personal injury sustained at work?

When you are at work your employer has a duty of care towards you. This means in practice that they must provide a safe working environment for you. If you are injured at work and think that your employer has been negligent, contact a personal injury solicitor, as you may be able to sue your employer for personal injury compensation.

Are sports injuries covered under personal injury law?

When you play a dangerous sport you are taking on a level of risk. However, you can expect the equipment that you are using, or the advice you are receiving from your coach, to be safe. If you think for instance that the sports equipment your gym has provided is faulty, this could be grounds for a compensation claim. A personal injury solicitor will assess your claim and determine if your injury falls outside the accepted risk.

How does the involvement of alcohol in a car accident affect my claim?

Anyone who is involved in a road accident that was not directly thier fault could claim for personal injury compensation. Your personal injury solicitors will explain that if you are the innocent party in an accident where alcohol played a part, you may have a strong case for compensation.

What services do personal injury solicitors offer?

All personal injury solicitors now generally work on a no-win, no-fee basis. This means you will not have to pay their fees unless and until they win your case. However, you may be expected to pay for other costs, such as disbursements, so always ensure that you are fully aware of all the potential costs and when they would be payable before you sign the agreement.

If you would like to obtain legal advice on personal injury claims, Caven can put you in touch with a local personal injury solicitor free of charge. So, if you have any questions or would like our help in finding local personal injury solicitors please call us on 08001 221 2299 or complete the web-form above.

08001 221 2299
or fill in the form
Our trained advisor contacts you
Your chosen specialist solicitor calls you
Quick enquiry form
Brands we work with
Guardian Unlimited logoTelegraph.co.uk logo
Guardian Unlimited logoThis is money.co.uk logo