Do you want to divorce your partner?


Gaining the professional support of a legal specialist should be a priority for anyone planning to divorce their partner. Divorce can be an emotional and stressful process to go through, so having legal support from a specialist divorce solicitor will best place you to move forward with your divorce quickly, and with less stress. A solicitor will be able to explain the process to you and answer any questions you may have regarding divorce from the beginning to end. A solicitor will use their expert knowledge to provide a range of legal options tailored to your individual circumstances, allowing you to make the right decisions for you and your family.

If you wish to divorce your partner, you are required to complete and file a divorce petition at court, normally your local County Court. Your local divorce court can be located at the HM Courts Service website, Before an applicant can complete a petition for divorce, they must first satisfy the prerequisite criteria of being married for one year or more. If you have not been married for one year or more then you are not legally able to divorce your partner. You must wait the full year or, alternatively, you could check your eligibility for an annulment of the marriage. There is only one ground for divorce in England and Wales and that is establishing that there has been an irretrievable break down of the marriage. This ground can be supported by evidence of adultery, unreasonable behaviour, desertion, separation of two years with consent, or separation of five years.

If you would like advice on how to divorce your partner, then Caven can put you in touch with a local law firm with specialist family law / divorce solicitors free of charge. So if you have any questions or would like our help in finding local family law / divorce solicitors please call us on 08001 221 2299 or complete the web-form above.


08001 229 4451
or fill in the form below
Our trained advisor contacts you
Your chosen specialist solicitor calls you
Quick enquiry form