Child maintenance issues


When children are involved in a divorce matter, in the vast majority of cases they will go to live with one or other of the former spouses. They are known as the custodial spouse, and the non-custodial spouse will be required by law to help look after the child through financial support - child maintenance. This responsibility for the upbringing of the child resting with the parents is laid down by the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child 1992.

How this is managed varies in different jurisdictions, and we have put together a selection of pages to help explain the situation in the UK. We have information on how it is calculated, how it is upheld and how the courts and solicitors can be involved.

For more information and for a chance to speak to a solicitor about your situation call us on 08001 221 2299 and let our case handlers find the right solicitor for your needs.

Related information: