Child Custody in a Divorce


In divorce, child custody is one issue that can cause a lot of distress and aggravation between separating couples. If you are thinking about divorcing your husband or wife and have children then you should definitely consider discussing your case with a child-custody solicitor. Our solicitors have special child-custody knowledge. They will be able to explain a range of options that are available to you and it will best place you moving forward with your divorce.

When you petition for divorce, child custody does not automatically get raised. In order to do this you must complete a form called ‘statement of arrangements for children’. This form must be completed for every child that is under the age of 16 or over the age of 16 but under the age of 18 and is in full-time education or training for a professional trade or vocation. The form must then be returned to the court when you issue your petition.

A ‘statement of arrangements for children’ form is split into four parts, in which you must provide as many details as you can. In part two, the main part of the form, you must provide details of your children’s home life, schooling, who cares for your children and who provides maintenance for them. For example, in the home life section you must provide details of where you child currently lives, how many bedrooms that property has, who owns or rents that property and a list of who else lives there. Specialist advice on this, as well as the whole process, is strongly recommended.

If you would like to obtain advice on child custody in divorce, then Caven can put you in touch with a local law firm with specialist custody / divorce solicitors free of charge. So if you have any questions or would like our help in finding local custody/ divorce solicitors please call us on 08001 221 2299 or complete the web-form above.

08001 229 4451
or fill in the form below
Our trained advisor contacts you
Your chosen specialist solicitor calls you
Quick enquiry form