Child maintenance in the UK and available agreements


By Juan Palomino

After a divorce or parental split you need to look after any joint child’s future with a child maintenance agreement. The assistance of a specialist family law solicitor is important in order to agree on a fair agreement where your child’s best interests are at the centre. The financial support would come from the non-resident parent; as that non-residential condition means that the resident parent gets more responsibilities in the day-to-day care of the child.

Family based agreement

When you are attempting to build a child maintenance agreement with you former partner, the straightforward way is the family-based agreement. This is an amicable agreement between you and your former partner. Iit is also the most financial way for both. However, you will still need to receive an overview from an expert because the financial support must to be settled precisely; according with child needs.

Court orders

This is the contested way to sort out a child maintenance agreement. The economic support is still focused on your child, rather than the other parent, but may not have been paid. You can enforce the payment through the courts. This can be a complex process and you will benefit from instructing a specialist family law solicitor.

Advice for legal aid users

If you are on benefits and want a legal help to get a child maintenance agreement, you may need to explore whether you can instruct a non-legal aid solicitor. This route may be necessary for you to take as legal aid won’t always cover the costs.

Juan Palomino is one of Caven’s most knowledgeable case handlers with extensive experience in this matter from dealing with clients on a day-to-day basis.

08001 221 2299
or fill in the form
Our trained advisor contacts you
Your chosen specialist solicitor calls you
Quick enquiry form
Brands we work with
Guardian Unlimited logo
Guardian Unlimited logoThis is logo