Australian migration


Australia has some of the strictest migration requirements in the world. If you are looking to reside there for any length of time you are likely to need a visa.

There are four main categories of visa available:

  • skilled migration visa
  • family visa
  • business visa
  • humanitarian visa

Skilled migration

The most common visa used is the skilled migration visa. The Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) publishes a list of occupations which it considers as ‘skilled’.

This list is constantly changing, depending on any skill shortages in Australia, with the current list containing nearly 200 occupations.

The skilled migration visa also uses a skill set and points test.

If you don’t already have a job offer you will need to submit an ‘expression of interest’ online and wait to be made an offer of employment by a company operating in Australia.

Only then will you be assessed against the points test. In the test each skill is allocated a certain number of points and you will need to reach the required number of points in order to successfully complete your Australian migration.

For instance, being able to speak proper English will earn you additional points.

Investor Retirement Visa

If you have retired, the skilled migration visa is no longer available so you may wish to consider the ‘Investor Retirement Visa’.

This is only available to people over the age of 55 and have at least AUD$1,000,000 in cash and assets. If you are successful in this you will be awarded a visa for an initial period of four years.

Consulting a solicitor can be useful if you have special circumstances that could have an impact on your ability to successfully complete an Australian migration application.

An immigration solicitor can give you detailed advice and also interpret any legal aspect of the immigration process you do not fully understand.

A solicitor can also be invaluable if your application for Australian migration has been turned down.

You can dispute the decision by the Australian authorities in court if you feel the law has not been fairly applied to your application.

Never try and handle this type of case yourself, as immigration law is highly complex.

If you would like to obtain legal advice about Australian migration, Caven can put you in touch with a local specialist  solicitor free of charge. So, if you have any questions or would like our help in finding local immigration solicitors please call us on 08001 221 2299 or complete the web-form above.

08001 221 2299
or fill in the form
Our trained advisor contacts you
Your chosen specialist solicitor calls you
Quick enquiry form
Brands we work with
Guardian Unlimited logo
Guardian Unlimited logoThis is logo