Accidents On The Road


In the UK, accidents on the road occur frequently. Accidents on the road can range from minor to very serious. Whether you are involved in an accident on the road as a pedestrian, a bicycle rider, a motorcycle rider, the driver or passenger of a motor vehicle, you need to know your legal rights and obligations. The following are some things you should know:

  • Stop at the scene of the accident. You are legally required to stop at the scene of a motor vehicle accident if: someone's been injured; there's damage to someone's vehicle or property; an animal has been injured or killed; or a fixed object has been damaged
  • Exchange details. When someone involved in an accident asks for your contact details you are legally required to do so, and vice versa. You should obtain the name, address, telephone number, registration number and insurance details of any other drivers involved
  • Inform the police. You must notify the police if someone has been injured; if one of the drivers is unable to produce an insurance certificate at the scene of the accident; if you are unable to swap details with the other driver at the scene of the accident
  • Take notes of details of the accident. Take notes about what happened, such as the car make, model and registration number; the time and date of the accident; the weather conditions; estimated speeds of the vehicles; the number of passengers in the vehicles; witness details; details of damage done to the vehicles; any injuries that were sustained. It may be useful to draw diagrams and take photographs

If there was any damage to property or personal injury you may wish to get in touch with a solicitor to discuss seeking compensation. If your property damage or injury after an accident on the road was at least partly because of another driver's negligent driving, you may be able to claim compensation. If other road or environmental factors contributed to the accident, such as poorly maintained roads or unmarked hazards, you may have a claim against the local authority.
Other situations in which you may need specialist legal advice include:

  • Where serious injury or fatality is involved
  • Where serious property damage is involved
  • In hit-and-run situations
  • Where alcohol or drugs are involved
  • Where the vehicle involved was stolen
  • Where other criminal activities are involved
  • If either party is uninsured

If you would like to obtain legal advice on accidents on the road, then Caven can put you in touch with a local road accident solicitor free of charge. So if you have any questions or would like our help in finding a local road accident solicitor please call us at 08001 221 2299 or complete the web-form above.

08001 229 4451
or fill in the form below
Our trained advisor contacts you
Your chosen specialist solicitor calls you
Quick enquiry form