Accidents In The Kitchen


Can you get compensation for accidents in the kitchen?

Unfortunately, accidents in the kitchen at home happen frequently. Many people think that because an accident has happened in their own home they cannot recover compensation for it. This is not necessarily so.

As with all personal injury claims, if you can attribute responsibility for the accident to someone else, then you may be able to claim compensation.

What sort of accidents in the kitchen might be able to be compensated?

Common accidents in the kitchen that can receive compensation include:

  • Faulty products - kitchen items and fixtures like stoves, food processors, blenders, pressure cookers and toasters are all potential hazards. If a kitchen product or fixture was defective and caused injury to a household member or visitor, that person may be able to seek compensation from the retailer, manufacturer or importer
  • Substandard workmanship - if tradesperson or other professional carries out work poorly, and you injure yourself, you may be able to claim compensation. Examples include: tripping over recently laid carpet; electrical shocks from poorly fitted electricals.
  • Building or design faults

How much compensation can you get?

If your claim is successful at court, you will receive compensation. The amount you get depends on the circumstances of your case. As a guide, though, you should be able to get compensation for your pain and suffering, and your loss of ability to do things you usually do. Also, you can claim for your medical costs and lost earnings.

Get legal advice – we can help

If you have been injured by accidents in the kitchen, you should speak to a personal injury solicitor. A solicitor can let you know whether you may have a case, and how much for.

Many personal injury solicitors will offer their services on a no-win, no-fee basis. This means you don’t have to pay anything unless you win.

If you would like to obtain legal advice on accidents in the kitchen, Caven can put you in touch with a local personal injury solicitor free of charge. Please call us at 08001 221 2299 or complete the web-form above and we’ll call you back.

08001 229 4451
or fill in the form below
Our trained advisor contacts you
Your chosen specialist solicitor calls you
Quick enquiry form