Accidents in the home


Accidents in the home happen frequently and can cause both short and long-term injury, pain and difficulties. Accidents in the home can also cause damage to property. Many people think that because an accident has happened in their own home they cannot recover compensation for it. This is not necessarily so. As with all compensation claims, if you can attribute responsibility and fault for the accident and consequent injury to somebody else, then you may be able to claim compensation.

What sort of accidents in the home might be able to be compensated?
Common accidents at home that can receive compensation include:

  • Faulty products
  • Substandard workmanship
  • Poor property condition in rented or council-owned premises

If you would like some advice about whether you may have a compensation claim for an accident that you sustained in the home you can speak to one of our specialist accident compensation solicitors who will be able to help you with this.

What should you do if an accident in the home happens to you?
When accidents happen it can be difficult to think straight and know what to do. A few simple steps you may wish to take include:

  • Seek first aid. Call the ambulance if necessary
  • Report the accident to any appropriate body (for example, to the retailer, manufacturer or importer if a faulty good caused injury; to the workman or company who completed work in the house that caused injury; to the local council or landlord if improperly maintained premises caused injury)
  • Make a note of the details of the accident while it is fresh in your mind
  • Keep receipts and invoices of any products or services which caused an accident, and any subsequent correspondence with concerned parties, and receipts of any costs incurred due to the accident, such as medical costs
  • Obtain advice as to whether you can claim compensation

It is important to remember that time limits for making a claim for compensation do apply. It is beneficial to get in touch with a specialist solicitor as soon as possible to ensure that you maintain the best possible chances of receiving compensation.

How much compensation can be awarded?
Compensation awards vary from claim to claim, even for similar injuries, depending on various factors. Individual circumstances will be taken into account.

If you would like to obtain legal advice on accidents in the home, or about compensation, then Caven can put you in touch with a local specialist accident compensation solicitor free of charge. So if you have any questions or would like our help in finding local accident compensation solicitors please call us at 08001 221 2299 or complete the web-form above.

08001 229 4451
or fill in the form below
Our trained advisor contacts you
Your chosen specialist solicitor calls you
Quick enquiry form