Accident Reports


In certain circumstances and settings there are legal requirements to make accident reports.

On the road

UK law makes it a legal requirement to report a road accident to the police if: someone has been injured; one driver cannot produce an insurance certificate at the scene of the accident; or if you are unable to swap details with the other driver at the time.

At work

UK law requires employers, self-employed persons, and persons in control of work premises to report certain incidents occurring at work. These include death and major injury; injury that results in a person being away from work, disease and gas incidents.

Public and private

In other circumstances and settings making accident reports is not a legal requirement, but is an important step in claiming compensation for damage to property or personal injury. Accident reports made contemporaneously may strengthen the evidential component of any claim. For example, for injuries incurred in public you should report the accident immediately to the relevant authority, such as the local council, in addition to the police. Injuries incurred on private property should be reported both to the private owner and to the police.

If you would like to obtain legal advice on accident reports, then Caven can put you in touch with a local specialist accident solicitor free of charge. So, if you have any questions or would like our help in finding a local accident solicitor please call us at 08001 221 2299 or complete the web-form above.

08001 221 2299
or fill in the form
Our trained advisor contacts you
Your chosen specialist solicitor calls you
Quick enquiry form
Brands we work with
Guardian Unlimited logo
Guardian Unlimited logoThis is logo

We use cookies on the Caven site to help us improve it.

If you would like to allow our cookies, please click 'Continue' or carry on browsing. For more information on cookies and how to change your settings, click 'More info'.