Accident Report


In certain circumstances and settings, such as at work, an accident report is a legal requirement. Failure to make an accident report can be an offence. An accident report may also be an important step in claiming compensation for damage to property or personal injury.

On the road

A road accident report must be made by the driver to the police if: someone has been injured, one of the drivers is unable to produce an insurance certificate at the scene of the accident, or if you are unable to swap details with the other driver at the scene of the accident. This may be done by calling a police officer to the scene, or by attending a police station in person. A road accident report must be made as soon as practicable and in any case within 24 hours.

If an accident was caused by a defect or hazard on the road, you may wish to report the incident to the authority responsible so that they can make necessary repairs to prevent further injuries to the public.

At work

Employers, self-employed persons, and persons in control of work premises have legal reporting duties under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995. Reportable incidents include: death; major injury; injury that results in a person being away from work, or unable to do the full range of duties, for more than three consecutive days; disease; and gas incidents. An accident report may be made by phone to the HSE Incident Contact Centre (Tel:0845 300 9923), online or by post.

In public

If you are injured in public, you should report the accident immediately to the relevant authority, such as the local council, in addition to the police, both for the sake of making a record of it, and to ensure that the hazard is remedied to avoid injury to others.

On private property

If you are injured on private property, whether a shopping centre, amusement park or business property, you should report the incident both to the private owner and to the police.

If you would like to obtain legal advice on an accident report, then Caven can put you in touch with a local specialist accident solicitor free of charge. So, if you have any questions or would like our help in finding a local accident solicitor please call us at 0845 300 9923 or complete the web-form above.

0845 300 9923
or fill in the form
Our trained advisor contacts you
Your chosen specialist solicitor calls you
Quick enquiry form
Brands we work with
Guardian Unlimited logo
Guardian Unlimited logoThis is logo

We use cookies on the Caven site to help us improve it.

If you would like to allow our cookies, please click 'Continue' or carry on browsing. For more information on cookies and how to change your settings, click 'More info'.