About alcohol licensing laws


What are the UK alcohol licensing laws?

The alcohol and licensing laws in the UK were changed with the Licensing Act 2003.

The Act integrated many aspects of the previous alcohol licensing laws to make the system more streamlined and simple to use.

What licences are there under the alcohol licensing laws?

Under the new alcohol licensing laws the different types of license you can apply for include:

  • Personal licences
  • Premises licences
  • Temporary event licence
  • Club Premises Certificate

How do you apply for a licence?

Usually you apply to your local authority. Your local authority will consider your alcohol licence under the current alcohol licensing laws.

You will need to make a formal application for your licence. Contact your local authority for details of the forms you will need and where to send them.

Should you use a solicitor?

It is advisable to have a solicitor help you with your application. An experienced solicitor will be able to cover all aspects in the application, so as to avoid objections.

What if your licence is refused?

Local residents, businesses and authorities such as the police can make objections. If objections are made, you will need to address them before your licence will be granted.

There avenues to appeal your licence decision through the courts. If you do decide on this action you must have legal representation, or else risk your licence being refused conclusively.

If you would like to obtain legal advice about alcohol licensing laws, Caven can put you in touch with a local licensing solicitor free of charge. Please call us on 08001 221 2299 or complete the web-form above and we'll call you back.

08001 221 2299
or fill in the form
Our trained advisor contacts you
Your chosen specialist solicitor calls you
Quick enquiry form
Brands we work with
Guardian Unlimited logoTelegraph.co.uk logo
Guardian Unlimited logoThis is money.co.uk logo

We use cookies on the Caven site to help us improve it.

If you would like to allow our cookies, please click 'Continue' or carry on browsing. For more information on cookies and how to change your settings, click 'More info'.