Jump to Navigation

Car accident claims

It is a mandatory legal requirement that all vehicles be insured before they can be driven on the road. The minimum level of insurance allowed by law is third-party insurance, which covers damage to other people’s property. It also covers personal injury claims. This is to ensure that if you are involved in a car accident and it was not your fault, you have a form of financial redress. The other person involved in a road-traffic accident could be another driver, a pedestrian, a cyclist, or passengers.

In the event of a road accident, car accident claims can be made to your insurance company. Your insurance company will then seek compensation from the other person’s insurance company if it is agreed that they were at fault. If you have suffered an injury as a result of a road-traffic accident, you should instruct a specialist solicitor to represent you. Your solicitor must follow a strict protocol established by the court. Firstly, they must write to the person against whom you are making the claim, informing them of the reasons they are being held responsible for your injury. The letter should also list your injuries and expenses. Your solicitor will instruct a medical expert to put together a report on the nature and longevity of your injury. This will be used in the valuation of your claim. The respondent or their insurance company has 21 days to acknowledge the receipt of the letter. They must, within three months of receiving the letter, inform you of their decision. They can either settle the claim and pay you compensation, or deny their liability. In the latter scenario, your lawyer may consider going to court.

Car accident claims may be made for the following: 

  • Loss of earnings
  • Personal injury
  • Damage to property
  • Vehicle repairs
  • Cost of alternative transport, for example taxis

If you have suffered an injury, or damage to your property as a result of a road-traffic accident, you may be entitled to make car accident claims and receive compensation. Caven can help you attain this.

If you would like to obtain legal advice on car accident compensation claims, Caven can put you in touch with a local specialist personal injury / accident solicitor free of charge. So, if you have any questions or would like our help in finding local personal injury / accident solicitors please call us on 0800 1777 167 or complete the web-form above.

Call Us or Complete the Form Below

Area of Law    
First Name Surname
Postcode Daytime Contact No.
Email Address

* Your privacy is guaranteed. We will respond to all enquiries within 30 minutes during normal business hours.